Thursday 10 November 2011

Putting waste pastry to good use

I really hate waste, especially in the kitchen.  There isn't any need for it, we should know how many we are cooking for and shop and measure accordingly.  But when making pastry I would always rather have too much than not enough so I do normally end up with a ball of pastry unused and feeling sorry for itself.  This week I had just enough to make a snack.  It is so easy to do, and sometimes I think things like this taste even better than the cakes that take me forever to put together.
I rolled out the pastry, covered it with a layer of sweet mince meat and chunks of our one-and-only home grown apple, then rolled the whole thing up using a little milk to stick the end down.  If I'd not been trying to cook dinner at the same time I might even have remembered to sprinkle a little sugar on top before sticking it in the oven for 25 mins.
A tasty treat my dad taught me how to make.

No comments: