Monday 19 December 2011

Christmas Cake

I don't really like Christmas cake.  It's normally too heavy and I don't like the way it is so often saturated in alcohol.  So instead I make my own version.  I have a recipe for a 'picnic fruit cake' which is full of fruit but light and perfect for taking on a picnic.  I have to admit to calling it 'panic cake' though, a name from when I first made it many years ago and miss read the name.
Normally I would make it in a traybake style, but who wants a square Christmas cake, so I made it round.  That's probably why the fruit sank, in the traybake it has no where to go.  A little apricot jam, some marzipan and some easy roll icing and the cake is done.  I'd like to decorate it some more, but couldn't get my icing to keep its shape.  
I'll show you what to do with left over marzipan later in the week.

No comments: