Sunday 30 October 2011

Butterfly cakes with chocolate icing

I’m not very good at decorating cakes.  Most of my cakes are practical looking, with maybe a little sugar sprinkled on top or chocolate icing left to melt and drip off the sides.  I am more interested in it tasting good than faffing about with icing bags etc.
But I do remember having a go at piping icing on a Christmas cake as a kid.   And so when I saw a set of icing nozzles in a shop recently I had to get them.  But what to try icing?

I decided to make some plain butterfly cakes with butter chocolate icing; this way I could try piping the icing without it mattering too much if I messed it up.  It would also make them a little easier to transport for lunch.  I used Mary Berry's cake and icing recipe which made good little cakes, although I would have liked them to have risen a little better, and I found the icing a little soft so some of it did not hold its shape.
The cases are silicon and can be used again and again.  Brilliant.

No comments: